Saturday, July 12, 2014

Unplugged

Graham Update Day 34 (7/12/14)

Short update tonight, but by no means insignificant.  Graham crossed an wonderfully satisfying milestone, he did a great job in therapy, and we are now down to our last full day at Children's Medical Center following more than a month of recovery after Graham's accident.

We started off the day with breakfast and a trip to the downstairs gym for occupational therapy.  Graham's occupational therapist is AMAZING.  In fact, she elevates the definition of that word.  Yesterday she played the Star Wars theme as he entered the gym, gave him the Yoda ribbon you see below, passed him a light saber, and then led him around an obstacle course with pictures of Star Wars and super hero villains all over.  He punched, kicked, and "forced" his way through them all, coming out victorious and VERY happy.

We did more of the same today, but with a twist.  I grabbed "my" light saber as well, and Graham and I battled our way all around the course.  By the end he had completely dismembered me, and I was left on the ground, expelling my last breath, while Graham was free to lift his hands, Rocky Balboa style, in a victory celebration.  Graham did a great job of wielding his light saber with his left hand and his right, and later on in OT he rode the swing all be himself, even letting go of the ropes at times just to mess with us and show us how in control he is.



Graham did amazing in physical therapy as well.  He walked all the way from his room to the gym holding only one of my hands, and at times was even able to take steps without any assistance at all.  We capped his session by putting him on the tricycle and letting him do a lap around the neurosurgery floor.  He was a man on a mission and did an amazing job.


 
 
If you look carefully at the pictures of the trike, and then compare those to the picture of Graham on the swing, you will notice a keep difference.  Do you see it?  Need a hint?  You'll find it in the title of this post.  No tube.  Yes, Graham is unplugged.  He is completely free from monitors and IV drips.  It is amazing to be able to walk Graham around his room and the hospital without pulling an IV pole around with him.  It is yet another hurdle that our little fighter has cleared.
 
There was another significant event that happened today, but it is more fitting (both in terms of subject matter and time this evening) to write about it tomorrow.  But please know that our family is very grateful for all those who continue to pray for and support Graham.  During the last 34 days we have learned anew that God is undeniably good, and that prayer is unbelievably powerful.  Our stay at Children's Medical Center is drawing to a close, but Graham still has a long road ahead.  
 
#Prayers4Graham 

9 comments:

  1. OUR GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD!!!
    I heard about Graham through a co-worker and have prayed for him daily every since. Thank you for sharing Graham's healing, but your love not only for Graham but God as well! God bless you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your recounts of the days. I smile when I read them and pray for continued progress, healing, peace, laughs, and strength for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading these posts each night, your little fighter lifts my spirits and is a great reminder that people are good and Heavenly Father performs miracles. What an incredibly special little boy you all have, thank you for sharing his journey of strength, determination, and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't have said it any better, Cassie! God is GREAT & Graham is such an amazing little fighter!

      Delete
  4. Well, he is also wearing different shorts in the tricycle photos from the swing photos, but I noticed the 'line' was gone from the trike ones. Yeah!!!! The tricycle is really a pretty big deal and if he can do that he has some good strength. I bet the light saber battle was memorable and something you'll never forget! Isn't it wonderful how they have adapted all their therapies to what will make it easier for a child to work hard and enjoy the process of working?! I'm excited to hear what the bit of news is that you are holding back for tomorrow. Love this little guy! Prayers are continuing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to dinner with your mom and dad this evening. It was great to hear firsthand the stories of Graham's recovery. We pray for you all daily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah Graham!!! Continued prayers coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Graham ROCKS!!! This little boy is amazing!! I check several times a day for updates and when I see a new one I get butterflies in my tummy as I am excited to read about all his new accomplishments! I am truly inspired by him. I don't know the family but I love them and I LOVE this kid!! Thank you for letting us watch this miracle as it unfolds before our eyes. Lots of prayers and hugs still coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. beautifully said, I feel the same way!

      Delete