Sunday, August 10, 2014

Prayers By Graham

Graham Update Day 63 (8/10/14)

Graham's accident is a parent's worst nightmare.  When I saw him laying in the neighbor's driveway after his head was run over, I cannot describe the horror, fear, and anguish that I felt.  But from that time, with a lot of prayer, a lot of love, and many blessings  from our Heavenly Father, our burden as a family has been lightened, we have been comforted, and Graham has been blessed with a miraculous recovery.  Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't wish this on anyone, and I am not strong enough to say I would do it again if faced with the choice to do it over.  I absolutely would not.  But we are better as people for having lived through this. We have had so many deep spiritual experiences that no matter the end result, our family is on a better trajectory now than we were before, both as individuals and together.  And leading the way, as always, is Graham.  His first week in therapy here at Cook Children's, he paused in the middle of his exercises to ask Heavenly Father for help.  He is an amazing example of faith.  And last night, he proved again that he is faithful, charitable, and wise beyond his six years.

I am not the best father in the world.  Our scripture reading is inconsistent at best.  There are plenty of people who are more involved with their kids.  Who play more with their kids.  Who are better teachers to their kids.  But I try.  And one thing of which I have made a point in teaching my kids is to pray "with feeling."  In other words, when my kids pray I teach them not to go through the motions and say repetitive words.  But that when they pray they should be feeling - a lot - and speaking accordingly.  So whenever I tuck them in at night I always remind them - "Don't forget to pray...." and they respond "with feeling!"

So last night I was sitting in a chair next to Graham messing around on the computer while he watched a movie.  Out of nowhere, Graham said:

"Dad, please oh please can we say a prayer with feeling?"

When a six year-old asks for anything by saying "please oh please," the answer is yes.  So I obliged and knelt down next to his bed.  And this was Graham's Prayer:

"Dear Heavenly Father,
Please bless everyone to know that Satan is real.  And Heavenly Father, please protect our spirits.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

Very short.  Very sweet.  Very profound.  Things that I have, unfortunately, never directly taught him as a father.  In a world today that teaches that there is no wrong, that everything short of murder and abuse is justified, it is amazing that a six-year old boy recognizes that:
(1) there is a real influence out there that wishes us bad.  The great deceiver wants us to make choices that will make us unhappy in this life and in the life to come.    And
(2) That there is a more powerful influence out there who is just as real.  He is our Heavenly Father.  He loves us, and he has the power to protect us.  He won't always protect our bodies from accidents, illness, and the choices that others make with their agency.  But he will always protect our spirits. He will always help us to learn, become better, and make the most of the things that happen to us in life.  He WILL protect our spirits. Those can be untouchable if we choose, and if we ask.

This morning Graham's prayer was again equal parts simple, sweet, and sincere:

"Dear Heavenly Father,
Please bless everyone to have a good and pleasant summer.  In The name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

Here is a boy who is undoubtedly getting stir crazy.  He asks "can we please go back home to McKinney, Texas?" several times each day.  And yet his morning prayer reflects his nature - always concerned with the welfare of others, while ultimately content with the cards that life has dealt to him.  So to everyone readying - please have a good and pleasant summer!

I am so grateful that, like Graham, so many of you have taken the time to pray for someone else.  You have offered up your feelings and so much more for Graham and our family.  And I am very grateful that God has preserved Graham's life, because he is an amazing little boy, and I really feel like the world is a better place with him in it.


8 comments:

  1. Micah,
    I don't know if you remember me (formerly Stacy Goostrey) but I'm pretty sure you would have known my older siblings, Jim, Amy, or David in high school. David, as you may know, struggled for 10 years with cancer and eventually died from a brain tumor at 22. The experience as a whole did help my family... all four surviving siblings served missions and married in the temple. (One divorced but is most likely remarrying in the temple in a few months.)

    I know what it is like to experience unimaginable pain from that experience. I know what it is like to fear that everyone around you could die at any second. I know what it is like to be mad at God even. But I also know what it is like to be carried through a trial by that same God. To feel unimaginable love.

    I understand a lot of your feelings because of my brother but I ache for your family because of my son. I have a six year old little boy with life threatening food allergies. I carried his limp, lifeless body into the ER when he was 10 months old begging a doctor to please just fix him. Make him breathe. Make him live. Miraculously, he did live. (The doctors said that they were terrified.) And he lived through four other similar experiences since that time. But I fear for his life every second of every day. It is a fear and pain that no parent should have to experience. My husband (Joe Brady) gave me a blessing once that helped so much though. He said that my son was given these allergies so that he and I would be closer. I have thought of this many times as I have read your blog. I can only imagine how close you and Graham are getting through this experience. This bond, even if it is forged through tragedy, is priceless.

    I want to thank you for writing these posts in a public way. It is hard to explain how a blog that makes me cry so much is also so uplifting. I suppose that I have heard so many times that fear and faith can't coexist, and your family is proof to me that you can go through a parents' worst fear and overcome it by faith. Thank you for that example.

    I hope you know that so many people are praying for your little man. Even more though, I hope you know just how many people his story and your family's faith is touching. Myself included. I'm sending prayers, love, and hope your way.

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to say Amen to what you just wrote.

      Delete
  2. I hope you git betr. and git out uv the hospital. henry bushman

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO PROFOUND! How can we not just love love love this little man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your precious little boy is a true superhero, and I deeply admire his faith. I must say to his Mom and Dad you have done a great job. May I say, that Graham has super-hero Parents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's interesting how much love I can have for a boy I never get to see. What a champ!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic little boy! It's amazing how much children can teach us.

    ReplyDelete